4.18.2006

Here Comes the Story of the Hurricane

More Katrina exploitation is apparent from TaxProf Blog, who reveal that Dick Cheney has listed $6.8 million in charitable donations on his 2005 tax return. Turns out that this is 77% of his adjusted gross income, and typically we taxpayers are only allowed to write off 50% of AGI to charity. The tax law was changed temporarily to allow Katrina donations to rise above that 50% restriction, nicely loopholed by that Dick, whose donations to Katrina must fall below $2.3 million (and are probably earmarked for COWS).

By the way, Cheney's tax return lists his "Wages, salaries, tips, etc" as $7,423,433. Which means I make .005% of what Cheney does. And I didn't even shoot anyone in the face last year. Nor was I implicit in the profit-driven death of American and Iraqi young people. (In the interest of fairness, however, I also didn't provide lucrative no-bid contracts to my former war-profiteering employers.) At any rate, if one of you has the sign-up sheet for the revolution, please pass it over.

By the way: I am back from Ireland and I am back from Arizona. I'm tan, sober, well-rested, and ready to not concentrate on what I'm doing.

No comments: