12.04.2008

Poor Napoleon

Out of Print Book Review: Peter Doyle by John Vernon

On an as-yet uncomposed Nick Hornby-ish All-Time Top Five Favorite Desert Island Books list, I'd probably rank Peter Doyle at number one or number two. It pert' near blew my mind when I first read it in the early 1990's, around the same time that I read Doctorow's Ragtime and was otherwise reading as much William Faulkner as I could get my hands on. These books and authors were tied to an American past, connected to Huckleberry Finn and the Civil War and the particular American problem of promised but undelivered equality that underscores everything from the Declaration of Independence to the presidential election of 2008. Amist some undergraduate writing workshops and advice to "write what you know" in a time where short stories hewed to kitchen table domestic realism and Raymond Carver minimalism, these books held mysteries, loome large, and certainly seemed as "real" (or perhaps "realer") as any "A Good Man Is Hard To Find" or "Cathedral."

Vernon's book opens at the autopsy of Napoleon on St. Helena, and the surruptitious removal of the Mighty Corsican's right thumb and penis. One of these, erm, units appears in the form of a totemic necklace that travels through the hands of Peter Doyle, a bus conductor and/or merchant marine who is believed by some to be the true love and muse of poet Walt Whitman. So Napoleon's penis transfers from Doyle to Whitman, from Whitman to Emily Dickinson, and ultimately follows Horace Greely out west, where it ends the novel with a plunge into the Colorado River. These characters strike you as accurate portrayals and, while a funny book, nothing is played for laughs.

After finishing the book, I was left with a lot of questions about what was real and what wasn't. I called the downtown library's Ready Reference, the precursor to the internet and the godmother of Wikipedia, to see if someone could tell me whether there was an actual, historical, real Peter Doyle. I wanted to ask about the dismemberment of the little Napoleon, too, but modesty held my tongue.

If there's a better novel out there about about a dessicated sexual organ of an imperial European and its effect on the lives of late 19th Century American poets, I'd sure like to know about it.

Vernon's book is currently out of print, but it may well be worth the hunt. I also enjoyed the same author's A Book of Reasons, a non-fiction account about cleaning out his reclusive late brother's house, with diversions into the history of tools and questions about how well we can know each other anyway. Lucky Billy is a new novel/history/ontological puzzle which seems to concern someone called "Billy the Kid," but not this Billy the Kid.

5 comments:

Omaniblog said...

Hi Brian,
Just to let you know I've read your blog post and you've increased my interest in reading the book. I've known about it but haven't got round to getting a copy. So your post has given me the prod I need.
Incidentally, Peter (Pete) Doyle was born in Limerick like me, was educated by Jesuits like me, was a conductor like me and loved Walt Whitman like me... There is a good short biography of Peter Doyle available on the net. It's not hard to find if you're interested. I'm writing a play about Pete and Walt and I've a Google alert out for anything written about them.
Greetings from Cork.

cm said...

http://www.neglectedbooks.com/

Trevor said...

Sounds intriguing. I always enjoy your literary criticism.

By they way, I'll bet you never finished the Savage Detectives. Since you wrote your piece on that book it seems I've seen more and more on Bolano. Probably much of that has to do with his highly acclaimed new book, 2666. I've read several reviews of 2666 in the last month or so, and almost all of them are extremely positive. It is a book I would like to read one day, but for now I think I wouldn't want to try to tackle it. Betweem a 5 month old, a wife, and house that is in constant need of cleaning and repairs, it has been hard to do any challenging reads.

Brian Hinshaw said...

Trevor, the only reason I never finished Savage Detectives is because the book disappeared on me. I have literally no idea where it is, and have paid the Shorewood Library more than enough money to replace the copy. Someday, I'll muster the courage to pick up a paperback copy, but I'm still holding out hope that the copy I now own -- complete with library binding -- will materialize out of the thin air into which it previously vanished.

2666 is on the list, but since I'm still wading through the final 400 pages of the 1,080 page Against The Day, I'm going to insert some short and relatively un-difficult books in between. My friend Bayard has been hard-selling 2666 (see his review at The Inside Flap, link to the right) and that's on my list for 2009. I'm also reading -- in between pages of Pynchon -- Bolano's Nazi Literature in the Americas, which is sort of the shorter, poorer cousin to 2666.

Trevor said...

Over the past several years, I have probably made four of five seperate unsuccessful attempts to read Thomas Pynchon's 'V'. It is a book that I have very much wanted to like, but have found it tough going. So good luck with Against the Day. I hope it is worth it. When you are finished I hope to see a proper write-up on your blog.

By the way, I read several entries on "Inside Flap". I like what your friend is doing, but I must say that I enjoy your literary criticisms much more. You have a sense for dark humor and irony that I really appreciate. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, pretty much every other literary hack in the upper midwest should be kissing your ass.

Read more books and keep up the good work.