10.17.2008

You Don't Really Love That Guy You Make It With Now Do You?

I'm ready to endorse a presidential candidate.

As you know, I've been wavering between Senators McCain and Obama this whole election and have had a really hard time making up my mind about for whom I would vote. On the one hand, Obama seemed reasonable and rational, the kind of choice that would turn this country around, reintroduce the important notions of civics and civil responsibility, and manifest hope in discouraged and cyncial populations the world over. On the other hand, John McCain has a wicked sense of humor.

Last night, aside from watching McCain get dope-slapped by a top-of-his-game David Letterman, I watched both candidates' humorous speeches at the 63rd annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner. McCain was genuinely funny, and despite the despicable tone of his campaign (and, in particular, his surrogates), he was warm and respectful towards his opponent.

Then Obama spoke, and while he doesn't exactly have the cutting wit that McCain evidenced, he did say this:

Americans have a big choice to make, and if anybody feels like they don't know me by now, let me try to give you some answers. Who is Barack Obama?

Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger. I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the Planet Earth.


A Superman joke. Consider me boarded, poly-bagged, and boxed, Senator Obama. You've got my vote.

UPDATE: It turns out that Obama's totally pandering to the Comic Nerd Vote, a demographic that is very important in the swing states of Indiana, Ohio, and West Virginia. Consider the following:

--Fort Wayne, Ind., is the model for Superman's supposed home turf of "Metropolis."
--West Virginia's state constitution is comprised soley and entirely of a 1949 issue of Little Lulu.
--Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, creators of Superman, grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, and Superman's first adventure is set there.

(The third point is actually true.)

No comments: