4.17.2007

Hasten to May

April hates America (see posts below). I wish I could understand why.

I really wanted to write a post this week about how the coverage of the fund-raising achievements of America's Next Top Democrats is really bristling my britches. The suggestion is that the amount of money raised is equal to their placement in the horse race, which both a falacy and creates a self-fulfilling prophecy. That is, if the media presents us with only two viable candidates (because they've raised the most money), we will tend to see only two viable candidates. But I'm not sure if national tragedy shouldn't take precedence over media critiques.

That said, it seems unreasonable to me to suggest that a large and decentralized university like Virginia Tech could warn all its students -- on-campus and commuters alike -- of a shooting in time to have any bearing on what happened one and a half hours later. How would such "information" get out to students, and how would or where would they have received it? Is it reasonable to expect that an 8:00am e-mail would have saved any lives? We may be problem-solvers by nature, but the "problem" here isn't really "How could this have been prevented;" the problem is, "What do we do now, knowing what we know?"

According to articles on the New York Times, one of the two Engineering professors slain was a 75-year old Holocaust survivor who apparently blocked the classroom door, sacrificing himself to the shooter so that his students could hide or escape through windows. I know a lot of young people died, but this one really gets at me. To live through genocide then die from handguns.

I tried to tune in for Olbermann last night and unfortunately saw the start of the Chuck Scarborough show instead. He said, "Some people are already blaming gun laws tonight, while others are pointing at Hollywood." I had to leave the room, and haven't turned on a TV since.

(That last statement is factually correct but occludes the fact that I happily watched part of Sesame Street this morning with two 14-month-old boys who as of yet know nothing about the capacity of humans for evil and duplicity. Or so their father hopes.)
Our former governor is pretending to run for President.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking to an audience at the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism in Washington D.C., Thompson said that, “I’m in the private sector and for the first time in my life I’m earning money. You know that’s sort of part of the Jewish tradition and I do not find anything wrong with that.”

Sweet Poppa Moses, this man is an idiot. Why can't he go back being the lovable drunk who ran around with various "nieces" in mini-skirts, while his wife was on holiday at an undisclosed Rehab.

cm said...

People here argue that we would have had a different outcome. I thought it was because they assume we would be more efficient (they do assume that, and are wrong to do so). But truly, they felt the reason we would be more successful is that we would be more motivated--our students are worth more.

Feeling nauseated now.