11.04.2008

In These Times of Trouble, I Will Love Mankind

I love election day.

It warms my cold, misanthropic heart.

This morning I stood in line and chatted with total strangers, everyone perfectly happy to wait upwards of 45 minutes to cast their sole and tiny ballot in the service of a peaceful transfer of power.

Plus, the kind people of Red Bull were handing out free cans of the stuff.

So I'm twitching happily, and filled with optimism, which is rare for me. The optimism, that is. Not the twitching.

1 comment:

formerly fun said...

This was for me, the democratic process at it's finest, high voter turnout, real discussion and a mandate for a different road than we've travelled for a while. People feeling that their vote was important, many voters gaining a sense of efficacy they had not had before. I am proud that our country has crossed a bridge with regard to racial equity.

This is momentous. I am full of optimism for what it must mean to the millions of African American youth that have another very positive role model to build upon and for what it means to my own children to live in a country where opportunity isn't reserved for a select few.

I am overwhelmed. I am encouraged. I am relieved. Quite frankly, I am also a little jubilant about being on the winning team for the first time in eight years.

I respect both President elect Barack Obama and John McCain and I earnestly respect the process.