3.13.2008

You're Doing It Wrong

Fellow Democrats:

Remember how this was supposed to be the election that permanantly divided the REPUBLICAN party?

Come on, people. Smile on your brother, and everybody get together and try to love one another right now. (This election is slowly turning me into a hippy, much to my own astonishment.)

------

Confidential to Geraldine: It's the essentialism, stupid.

------

On "Morning Edition," Hillary said: "People talk to me all the time as I travel around the country about how they wish they didn't have to choose between us." That may be true for her support, but it's been my experience that Obama supporters really don't feel that same way.

3 comments:

cm said...

So at dinner with friends the other night, we were talking politics, and Tom was adamant he wanted Clinton in office. People asked why, they said Obama will build coalitions, bring people together etc etc. Tom replied that after what happened to Clinton the 1st and the ensuing governing debacle of the last 8 years, he doesn't want to hold hands across the aisle, he wants his next president to vindicate Clinton 1 (presumably by being vindictive?). He was much more articulate than I am being now trying to paraphrase, to the point that the dinner party all paused, reflected, and admitted he had a point. So while you are turning in to a hippie, Tom is turning into . . . I'm not sure what, but he definitely wants Clinton in office and doesn't think Obama would take the navigator's seat. What do you think? Could they pair up on a ticket? I voted for Obama, then had tons of guilt for not supporting Hillary, so I'd sleep easier at night if they just teamed up.

cm said...

Oh and yes, it's all about me and how much sleep I can get at night.

Brian Hinshaw said...

I don't feel that the Clinton era needs vindication, as I think people's pocketbooks are already vindicating him and the people who hate Clinton clearly can't be swayed by logic or evidence, so probably also won't be swayed by vengence or wrath. Given our political system, only negotiation and compromise work. These tactics require, first off, an ability to communicate well and clearly, which in turn requires good writing (which, as we clearly know and exemplify, engenders good -- or at least critical -- thinking). This is the instance that puts truth to the pen being mightier than the sword, which is true in few other circumstances because, whoa, sword!