12.18.2007

Fun with Homonyms

As you may know, I'm accompanying 28 students of Business to Dublin and London for two weeks in January. The following true story will demonstrate how culturally unprepared I am.

Coworker: Have you gotten any Euros yet? (He led the trip last year, and means to suggest that I change money before the plane leaves for Dublin.)

Me: Gyros? Who has gyros? (I am from Milwaukee.)

Coworker: I got some from my bank.

Me: Your bank gives out gyros?

Coworker: They do, if they happen to have them. They're not always available, but if they have some on hand they'll give you some.

Me: What bank is this?

Coworker: I think pretty much any bank will do it, if they have them.

Me: You're talking about gyros? Like the Greek lamb sandwich?

Coworker: (Puzzled.)

Me: Oh -- Euros!

Coworker: What did you think I was talking about?

Me: I-- Oops, my phone is ringing. I better get that.

Coworker: I don't hear a phone...


In my defense, it was lunchtime.

1 comment:

cm said...

Better get a lot of Euros out of the bank, cause you will have to bring your wife more than a gyro as a present for jetting off to Europe for 2 weeks!!!