8.14.2007

It's Not Easy Being Green

August 14, 2007

Mattel, Inc.
333 Continental Boulevard
El Segundo, CA 90245-5012

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to thank you for the inclusion of African-American superheroes in your DC Super Friends line. As the father of twins with African-American heritage, it’s very important to my family that their world (and their toys) reflect and respect their identity. As a fan of comic books from way back, I’m doubly happy that I can share my fondness for Superman and other superheroes without giving the impression that such heroes are always and exclusively white men. (It would be nice to have some female characters in the line, too.)

I hope that you continue to consider this kind of inclusion a market value as much as an act of civic responsibility or “political correctness.” I have tracked down and purchased all six figures in the DC Super Friends line, and I’m fairly certain I would not have done that if not for the presence of the African-American Green Lantern (and the promise of a Cyborg to come).

In any case, I thought I’d let you know that I find your heart to be in the right place even in the midst of recent recalls. (I’ll refrain from the opportunity to suggest that housing more operations in America might allow greater oversight and bring some manufacturing jobs back to our shores…)

Best wishes and a speedy recovery,

Townblog

Nerd, Father, and Citizen

2 comments:

cm said...

Can you recommend and latina superhero action figures?

Brian Hinshaw said...

Latina Action Figures:
Dora the Explorer! (Except they've been recalled due to lead paint, so I'd wait for a later batch: "Now with 100% Less Lead!")

Latina Superheroes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hispanic_superheroes

Latina Superhero Action Figures: Maybe you'd better write to Mattel