6.22.2006

I Often Dream of Trains

Last night I had a very vivid dream in which I was watching the Today show's coverage of a fatal bus accident outside of Atlanta. Both John Edwards and Tony Blair died in the crash, and Matt Lauer interviewed a tearful Elizabeth Edwards, who had now lost both her son and her husband. It was hard to watch, and I felt real disappointment that I wouldn't be able to vote for Edwards in the next presidential election and that he had real potential that would now go untapped.

I also felt bad for Blair. In a way, I see Blair as one of those well-constructed film anti-heroes, someone who once struggled to be good but ultimately succumbed to greed and temptation. So, when I learned that he'd died in the bus crash, I regretted that he would not have the opportunity to win out in the end. Which makes me think now that he can still be a hero -- Tony Blair could (and should) blow the whistle on all the nefarious Iraq-related schemes. Stand up off of that lap, Tony!

I'm not sure why Edwards and Blair were on the same bus, or why they were going to Atlanta, but when I woke up, I was glad to see that the Today show hadn't even started yet, and that when they did there was no mention of any bus crash.

1 comment:

Winter said...

Blair is too far gone, he pulled a Faustian deal, thinking he could "soften" the devil in america. Turns out he is forced to do his master's bidding, knowing that he will be viewed by his party, his country, and most of Europe as the toadie of bush lite.
Which really is sad, considering that his party is closer to our Democrats than the Tories, which is the more conservative party. I think he figured that the world had given the USA a freehand, due to 9/11, and did not count on the Leader of the US to be a complete religious whack job. Deep inside, he was hoping for a Democratic victory in 2004. That way he could save face.
Alas, that was not to be. He did not count on the fact that 51.5% of americans are more concerned about boys kissing boys, than the respect of the rest of the world, the Bill of Rights, and basic human dignity.
For a long time, I thought the Human Race as a whole was nothing but a bunch of hairless monkeys who barely figured out how to stand up and still beat anything they view as different over the head with leg-bones (For reference, see the intro to the classic "2001: A Space Odessey". Do not become confused and use the Mel Brooks' Classic "History of the World: Pt 1" intro. That is a completely different beating, and that sure isn't a leg bone.)
Now I think it is just the USA. We are the retarded half-brother, who has been fed steroids and given an automatic weapon and a poorly drawn map on the back of a Denny's napkin with the words "Get 'em" pointing to the Mid-East, all in crayon.
Or maybe that is the cynic in me...